The UIC Honors College enhances opportunities for intellectual challenge and leadership by fostering a community of academic excellence, connecting outstanding undergraduate students with premier faculty mentors, and promoting scholarly engagement. By bringing together a diverse group of exceptional undergraduate students, faculty, and staff, the Honors College provides an environment for advanced intellectual growth and a foundation for life-long learning.
The UIC Honors College is an option for undergraduate students at UIC who seek additional academic challenge and extra-curricular opportunities. All members of the Honors College also belong to a degree-granting college such as Liberal Arts and Sciences or Engineering. Members of the Honors College may take honors courses or participate in an array of out of classroom experiences each semester. Key benefits of the Honors College include:
- Special courses and seminars taught by premiere faculty
- Undergraduate Research Assistants Program
- Faculty Fellows assigned to all students for mentoring and advising
- Merit and need-based scholarships
- Support for student organizations and student-led academic programs
- No additional time to graduation, all honors courses count toward your degree
- Low student to advisor ratio
- Special "Honors-only" facilities, including a computer lab and study lounge
Honors courses are small in size and are taught by top professors, giving students the opportunity to interact with UIC’s finest scholars. Hundreds of UIC faculty members volunteer each year to work with Honors students because they enjoy working with motivated and talented students. Honors College students are known on campus as leaders, innovators, and contributors to the UIC community. To find out more, download a copy of our flyer for prospective students. Also, please download our fact flyer for more information on demographics, enrollment statistics, and more.
Following on the heels of completing the College's successful Diversity Strategic Plan last year, the Honors Council is working to ensure that the College maintains its excellence and adapts to changing contexts. Read the 2014-2015 update to the Honors College Diversity Strategic Planning Document.